[clug] dist-upgrade to Debian Lenny - flagged boot problem

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:45:17 MDT 2009

The Debian Lenny Release Notes include the following entry:

  4.8. System boot hangs on Waiting for root file system

  Procedure to recover from /dev/hda that became /dev/sda

*Some* users have reported that an upgrade could cause the kernel not to
find the system root partition after a system reboot.

  This problem can occur *when the upgrade of the kernel introduces the
use of the new generation of IDE drivers*. The IDE disk naming
convention for the old drivers was hda, hdb, hdc, hdd. The new drivers
will name the same disks respectively sda, sdb, sdc, sdd.

REMAINDER SNIPPED

The Release Notes go on to give detailed instructions of:

a) how to pre-empt the problem; and
b) how to salvage the system if the problem has occurred.

Both of which are a PITA that I would prefer to escape.

Given that only "some users" encounter this problem, what do I have to
do to not fall into this "some user" subdivision?

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)