[clug] Ubuntu encrypted file systems

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:17:04 MDT 2009

2009/8/18 Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com>:
> Has anyone had any experience with setting up encrypted file systems on
> Ubuntu or other distributions?  I am wondering if it is rocket science, or
> needs to be performed at install.  I am interested in the standard /var
> /home /tmp encryption to protect against casual theft or loss of a netbook
> or laptop of personal information.
>
> I have turned up a few sites on the net but all seem complicated.  I am
> wondering if Karmic Koala (next Ubuntu version) will support this out of the
> box so I should wait, or dive in and do it now.
>
> Also wondering if encryption will break suspend or hibernate which would
> really suck, as I really like the suspend to RAM working on my fancy new
> Ubuntu netbook when I close the screen.
> --

I have an encrypted /home on Fedora 11 (running on an Acer Aspire
One), but I set it up at install. Not sure how easy it would be to do
retrospectively.

Cheers! Lana

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
  -- Artemus Ward

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.