[clug] GPS on Linux

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Aug 12 02:59:27 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Presume can work ok with Google Maps or
> free open source software that can use some commercial maps or
> freely available maps.

Free software:

http://www.navit-project.org/

http://www.gpsdrive.de/

Free maps:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

> Google Maps is preferred as it is free and uses quality mapping data.

It's gratis for some uses but not libre and it's poor quality, as is most
commercial map data. OpenStreetMap is far more accurate. OSM isn't always
as comprehensive as Google Maps, but I've been surprised several times by
just how much is covered.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au