[clug] GPS on Linux

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 02:49:58 MDT 2009

2009/8/12 Ian McLeod <ianmcleod75 at gmail.com>:
> Anyone had any success with GPS USB / Bluetooth devices on Linux?  Just
> realised that without built in GPS on our new Netbook this will be essential
> for travel.  Presume can work ok with Google Maps or free open source
> software that can use some commercial maps or freely available maps.  Google
> Maps is preferred as it is free and uses quality mapping data.

I use the gps built in to my Nokia N95 (which is actually pretty
rubbish) over bluetooth with my EEE.

The navit open source package can read Open Street Map data (which is
free) and can read NMEA streams directly from device nodes or files or
can interface with gpsd which was mentioned by another CLUGer.