[clug] Looking for a netbook

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:30:32 MDT 2009

Ian Bardsley wrote:

> Hi Ian
>
> We havn't seen any hardware problems with this machine.  On board
> Wireless N works OOTB using Ubuntu Jaunty but on Intrepid needed the
> driver compiling.  Web Cam worked OOTB but to be fair I bought a
> Logitech Web Cam that I new was Linux friendly.  Not sure about
> Printing as we use a wireless Printer but in my experience anything HP
> just works.  USB Keyboard and Mouse are fine and I've even had a USB
> DVB tuner running on it with no problems.
>
> Good luck with your search
>
> Ian B
Thanks - well I'm a great believer in outsourcing problems - these guys
quoted me around $980 for the latest 1000HE model with everything
confirmed working except BlueTooth - and included in that is a $70
charge to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu (sweet - saves hours of mucking
around) and they are happy to provide support (to a reasonable degree
I'm sure).

Pretty tempted - if the wife doesn't flip out because I naturally
gravitated to the latest model.

http://www.vgcomputing.com.au/nsintro.html

For this price though it's getting up there with cheap laptops but at
least this will work properly I suppose - compared to say a cheap brand
name laptop.