[clug] Looking for a netbook

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 10 23:23:18 MDT 2009

Ian McLeod wrote:

> Ian Bardsley wrote:
>> Hi Ian
>>
>> FYI, my wife uses an Asus eeepc running Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Ubuntu
>> optimised for the screen size and the Atom processor). This little
>> unit sits as part of our home network and works very well. It even
>> manages a web cam and we can video call our daughter in South America
>> via Skype with no problems. For the money, these are great little
>> machines IMHO.
>>
>> HIH
>>
>> Ian Bardsley
>
> Have you found any hardware compatibility or other issues?

Hi Ian

We havn't seen any hardware problems with this machine.  On board
Wireless N works OOTB using Ubuntu Jaunty but on Intrepid needed the
driver compiling.  Web Cam worked OOTB but to be fair I bought a
Logitech Web Cam that I new was Linux friendly.  Not sure about Printing
as we use a wireless Printer but in my experience anything HP just
works.  USB Keyboard and Mouse are fine and I've even had a USB DVB
tuner running on it with no problems.

Good luck with your search

Ian B