[clug] Looking for a netbook

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Mon Aug 10 22:23:00 MDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:18:19PM +1000, Ian McLeod wrote:
> We're looking for a netbook - for once in my life my wish actually
> complements the main goal - to save money - i.e. have Linux.  My wife
> is, naturally, happy with that idea.  It's for the both of us to float
> around he house for net use or whatever, and for travel.
>
> I heard that Asus (eeePC) once came with a Linux distribution standard,
> however have anyone had any real experience with Linux based netbooks
> and have any hints or tips?  Are they restricted to one distro or can I
> stick Gnome based Ubuntu on one or would something even lighter be
> advisable?
>
> If it can handle a Bluetooth or USB Nokia phone as a 3G modem that would
> be fantastic, but I suppose we can live without it if we have to.  I've
> actually heard of Symbian apps to turn a phone in to a wi-fi access
> point anyway.

Linux appears to be getting rarer and rarer on netbooks. Fortunately it
appears HP have released one to solve that and even have an SSD available in
it (which also appears to be getting rarer in the Aus market)

http://www.cnet.com.au/hp-mini-110-339297358.htm

Though out of interest when I clicke don the HP website and tried to
purchase one the HP E store could not find the Linux SSD model and only
appeared to have the 3 different coloured windows models. (the linux model
is AUD $499 compared to the AUD $699 of the others)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/au/en/ho/WF25a/321957-321957-3832382-3832383-3832383-3943764.html

Also it appears the linux one may not be available in pink :(

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
gonna peel you out, of your protective shell