[clug] Remote Desktop through a MS Terminal Server Gateway

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Aug 10 05:57:46 MDT 2009

Boyd <boydwilding at gmail.com> writes:

>> One of the last remaining reasons I require XP is to use Remote Desktop to
>> access my work computer - which is accessed by specifying a computer name
>> as well as host address and credentials - i.e. it goes through a 'Terminal
>> Server Gateway'.  From what I can see - there are a number or Linux based
>> Remote Desktop compatible clients - however I am unable to find anything
>> that can handle a Terminal Server Gateway to specify a computer name on the
>> remote network.

No.  That is some kooky RPC-over-SSL on the HTTPS port hack that Microsoft
cooked up; it looks ugly, and is unrelated to the actual RDP stream that is
used for display, so I think you are out of luck.

[...]

> Debian-ish distros have a terminal server client in the repositories

To save others the trouble: this isn't sufficient.  You need a specific
"Terminal Services Gateway" protocol client to negotiate with the server
before the normal RDP client — which is referred to here — can connect.

On the plus side ... the TSG protocol is actually documented, and the details
are freely available via MSDN without license[1], so if the OP wanted to
implement a suitable client it /should/ be pretty easy.

(Specifically, it should be possible to handle the negotiation in a separate
 application, then execute rdesktop or some other client to handle the RDP
 part, from my brief glance at it.)

Given it is a fairly thin protocol I think it would only be a few days work to
hack something together, possibly less if you can leverage the Samba work, or
some other DCOM implementation on Linux.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...as far as I can tell.

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.