[clug] lightweight tool for creating PDA-style Apps

David Cottrill cottrill.david at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:14:15 MDT 2009

Has anyone seriously investigated the idea of: XWindows w/out window
manager and running a browser full screen to work as the computer
interface, combined with moving back to tty terminal for serious jobs.

This gives a GUI, basic windowing with tty1-6 and access to all and
sundry through the browser.

A well scripted home page or Webmin (or similar)  would give full
power over the computer with minimal resource usage.

... or did I dream up an answer someone else came up with ten years ago.

I realise this is heavy weight - but still under a gig installed.

David