[clug] A Newbie query - correction!

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 15:52:00 MDT 2009

Bob Edwards wrote:

 > The official Australian Debian Security mirror is: security.debian.org
 > which, from Australian hosts, should resolve to gluck.debian.org
 > and to nashira.anu.edu.au
 > Both mirrors have real IPv6 addresses.

That was where I started.

But I found the Debian documentation relating to "gluck.debian.org" very
confusing.

 > Any standard Debian install with Australia selected as the location
 > should automatically select these official Debian mirrors.

That was my understanding of the output delivered by "traceroute
security.debian.org"

The following background info may be of interest:

As a "dial-up subscriber", I have hitherto used DVDs/CDs to install (and
upgrade) Debian.  Since the recent successful upgrade from "dialup" to
ADSL2+, the use of "aptitude's" update/upgrade routines has become viable.

Before I summons up the courage to attempt an upgrade to "Debian
testing", I thought that acting on the relevant "Debian security
announces"  would be a first step.  Hence my interest in accessing a
local mirror for security.debian.org.

As flagged in my initial posting, I am a perennial Linux Newbie; it
takes time for the penny to drop. Fortunately, as a geriatric, "time" is
one commodity that is not in short supply.

My thanks to all who took the time to unscramble my confusions.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)