[clug] A Newbie query - correction!

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Aug 2 05:47:25 MDT 2009

Felix Karpfen wrote:

>> The template supplied by debian.anu.edu.au (which reads:
>>
>> "deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free")
>>
>> is the (unchanged) answer to my query.
>
> That is wrong :-( ; although it would probably work OK (My
> copy-and-paste routines leave something to be desired!).
>
>  The correct entry from debian.anu.edu.au reads:
>
> "deb http://debian.anu.edu.au/debian-security stable/updates main"
>
> which is the "belt-and-braces" entry that I was looking for!
>
> Felix

Hi Felix,

Sorry for the confusion in my original posting about the new official
Australian Debian Security mirror.

As Steve pointed out, debian.anu.edu.au is not an official Debian
mirror, nor is debian.anu.edu.au/debian-security an official Debian
Security mirror - use debian.anu.edu.au at your own risk...

The official Australian Debian mirror is: ftp.au.debian.org which
resolves to mirror.linux.org.au and to linux.anu.edu.au
The official Australian Debian Security mirror is: security.debian.org
which, from Australian hosts, should resolve to gluck.debian.org
and to nashira.anu.edu.au
Both mirrors have real IPv6 addresses.

Any standard Debian install with Australia selected as the location
should automatically select these official Debian mirrors.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.