[clug] Hard disk problems

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 1 21:55:14 MDT 2009

Hi All,

I have an Eee pc 10 H.  When I start it up I get a:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

At odd times the hard disc squeals like pig and its getting worse each
time I start up the PC.  To me it sounds like the hard disc has crashed.

In the bios the IDE configuration can't detect the Primary IDE Master
nor the Primary IDE Slave.

I can boot Ubuntu 9.04 from a USB drive but it doesn't detect the hard
drive.

Is there anything I can do to get some of the stuff off the hard drive
or is the hard drive stuffed completely?

Thanks.

John