[clug] A Newbie query - was local Debian Security mirror

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sun Aug 2 02:08:01 MDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 05:58:18PM +1000, Ben Nizette wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 16:27 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> > Craig Small wrote:

> > > It just works. It's using geolocation so generally it works out you are
> > > in Australia so use the Australian mirror.
> >
> > I should have been more explicit!
> >
> > My question should have been:
> >
> > Can I access the (anu) mirror via an entry to "/etc/apt/sources.list"?
> >
> > If so, what is the syntax of that entry?
>
> Go to debian.anu.edu.au, download the template sources.list from there
> (look at the menu on the LHS) and replace your current one.  If you
> still want your other sources in there as well (eg for unmirrored
> content or as a fallback) just insert the lines from the template in to
> the top of your sources.list.
>
> Of course remember to apt-get update.
>
> sources.list entries are of the form
>
> {deb,deb-src} URL version [repositories]*
>
> eg
>
> deb http://debian.anu.edu.au/debian stable main
>
> will get the debs (not source code) for debian stable from
> debian.anu.edu.au/debian's main repo.

Strangely debian.anu.edu.au is not an official mirror of debian.

It is maintained by our colleagues in rsise, the ftp.au.debian.org maachine
is mirror.linux.org.au and linux.anu.edu.au which is sitting on the rack
underneath the new gluck.debian.org/australian security.debian.org mirror.

debian.anu.edu.au works but is not an official mirror of any sort.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
first light ugly and more muscular than the dark