[clug] A Newbie query - was local Debian Security mirror

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sun Aug 2 01:58:18 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 16:27 +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> Craig Small wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 08:34:01AM +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> >> purposes of this server:
> >> security.debian.org - mirror (Australia)
> >>
> >> And the next step is  --?
> > It just works. It's using geolocation so generally it works out you are
> > in Australia so use the Australian mirror.
>
> I should have been more explicit!
>
> My question should have been:
>
> Can I access the (anu) mirror via an entry to "/etc/apt/sources.list"?
>
> If so, what is the syntax of that entry?

Go to debian.anu.edu.au, download the template sources.list from there
(look at the menu on the LHS) and replace your current one.  If you
still want your other sources in there as well (eg for unmirrored
content or as a fallback) just insert the lines from the template in to
the top of your sources.list.

Of course remember to apt-get update.

sources.list entries are of the form

{deb,deb-src} URL version [repositories]*

eg

deb http://debian.anu.edu.au/debian stable main

will get the debs (not source code) for debian stable from
debian.anu.edu.au/debian's main repo.

	--Ben.