[clug] HDMI ports on laptops (Nvidia based).

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 01:19:38 GMT 2009

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am thinking of getting a SL500 thinkpad to replace my old warhorse
T42 but the problem is that I have a 1920x1200 screen that only has a
DVI port. I am loathe to get another ATI based system (for no good
reason) and thus want nvidia so this means I am limited to the SL or
high end W series in thinkpads.

I have been told that there is no way to make external DVI ports on
docks work with intel integrated graphics or else I would just do
that.

So, has anyone here made a HDMI port work with a HDMI->DVI cable?
>From all I have read on forums and the likes it would seem that it can
be done, the resolution I am after is WUXGA and seems to be supported.

Point is with the discounts that lenovo are doing right now I can get
a SL500 2.53GHz/2GB RAM/DVDRW/160GB/15.4"/Nvidia G105M 256MB/WIFI 5100
for just a frazzle under $1500 including shipping.  Kind of hard to
ignore/beat if it will do what I want. (And yes, $60 or so cheaper if
I can get lenovo to take back the copy of Vista! -- I already
downgraded it to Vista Home to save $70 or so! :)

ta

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)