[clug] Software Freedom Day

Jason j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:43:42 GMT 2008

The day was a bit of a let down on numbers but not on quality, there just were not as  many people coming into the computer fair in general as last year and we only ended up giving away a few hundred Cd's (haven't inventoried the exact number yet).  But everyone I talked to was open and receptive to what we doing, we only burned a half dozen distros for people who wanted them and a few people just took them on their usb keys. We talked about the install-fest which I think put a lot of people at ease about trying Linux again who had done so in the past and had hit some kind off wall.

I guess we now need to figure out what to do with a few thousand open Cd's, maybe we sneak them onto the shelves of all the computer stores in town :)

General reactions were wide ranging from, "I already use Linux but do you have the latest ISO of this" (which thanks to Matt we did) to "That all sounds good but how much does it cost?" and of course the obligatory "Wow they do a good job of making it seem like windows" which I never really feel is the compliment they intend.

Jason