[clug] Software Freedom Day

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:55:42 GMT 2008

On 22/09/2008, Jason <j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The day was a bit of a let down on numbers but not on quality, there just
> were not as  many people coming into the computer fair in general as last
> year and we only ended up giving away a few hundred Cd's (haven't
> inventoried the exact number yet).  But everyone I talked to was open and
> receptive to what we doing, we only burned a half dozen distros for people
> who wanted them and a few people just took them on their usb keys. We talked
> about the install-fest which I think put a lot of people at ease about
> trying Linux again who had done so in the past and had hit some kind off
> wall.
>
> I guess we now need to figure out what to do with a few thousand open Cd's,
> maybe we sneak them onto the shelves of all the computer stores in town :)

We could just wander around town with them, slipping them into people's bags
;)

General reactions were wide ranging from, "I already use Linux but do you
> have the latest ISO of this" (which thanks to Matt we did) to "That all
> sounds good but how much does it cost?" and of course the obligatory "Wow
> they do a good job of making it seem like windows" which I never really feel
> is the compliment they intend.

Hehe - indeed! I'm sure they mean well though.

Jason

Thanks for the updates! I'm really sorry I couldn't make it along, it sounds
like it was a god day. Shall we try for bigger and better next year? ;)

Good luck to those helping out at the install fest next weekend - I've
already heard of a few people who intend to come along, so hopefully it's a
roaring success. I may drop in (with my daughter in tow) if I can manage to
wangle a spare hour or two in Canberra.

Cheers,
Lana

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:31:38 +1000, Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > How'd it go???

Cheers! Lana

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.