[clug] VNC and MythTV

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Sep 17 00:54:52 GMT 2008

"Pilcher, Fred" <Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au> writes:

> Not strictly on the subject, but related...

[...]

> Figuring that the card had suddenly started working, I put Kubuntu
> back on - and again, nothing but SBS. Replaced Xubuntu - all stations
> tuned.
>
> What could possibly be happening here?

I have, literally, no idea how this is possible.  The binary code, and
the kernel, used for those two distributions should be bit for bit
identical, since the repositories don't duplicate.

> I tried every setting I could find, tried different teevee software,
> nothing worked. Yet simply swapping to Xubuntu enabled detection of
> all available channels.
>
> WTF?

That about sums it up.  I suggest you take it to Launchpad in the hope
that the package maintainers can make sense of this...

(Remotely possibly, something in the KDE desktop startup is configuring
 some audio or video hardware in a way that XFCE doesn't; I know KDE has
 some awareness of video stuff...)

Regards,
        Daniel