[clug] Software Freedom Day - Sep 20

Adam Jenkins adam at snorkel.rtfm.net.au
Fri Sep 12 13:33:34 GMT 2008

Lana,
Yes, a press release and/or poster would be great please.
There's some artwork up at http://softwarefreedomday.org/Artwork/2008/Logo
we could maybe start from.  It'd be nice to have something specific to
Canberra.  Whether it's just the title "Software Freedom Day Canberra", or
some picture/logo that incorporates something uniquely Canberran.  And of
course we'll want the pertinent info on the poster; that it'll be on
Saturday 20th September, at the Old Bus Depot Market in Kingston, between
whatever times.

Are Canberra Times going to be able to mention the event with a week's
notice, and without us paying them to do so?  Another possibility; maybe
they or the community paper could send a reporter to visit us and write a
short piece about SFD?

I think the target audience is mostly Windows users.  A lot of them are
probably using some FOSS (Firefox for example) but they don't really
understand why anyone would make software free ("that means it's got
viruses right?") and they usually don't realise all the good quality FOSS
that's available ("it's just that strange Linux thing that deletes Windows
right?").  Basically:

- dish out as many OpenDisc, OpenEducation and Ubuntu CDs as we are able
to :-)
- answer questions where we can
- tell people about the InstallFest, and CLUG.  Perhaps a flier for the
Installfest should be another thing to make sure we have designed/printed?

Any suggestions, criticisms etc of any of this is most welcome; regardless
of whether you're planning to be at SFD or the Installfest. My vote would
be that we try not to get stuck into Microsoft/closed-source too much.
It confuses the message, and I think one of the beauties of open source is
that it doesn't need to replace closed source in order to achieve good
things.  If nothing else, having quality open source software available
means there's pressure on closed-source developers to lift their game,
especially when more 'mainstream' computer users are aware of it.