[clug] ASUS Eee PC 1000 solid state with LINUX

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Mon Sep 8 05:27:50 GMT 2008

2008/9/8 jhock <jhock at iinet.net.au>:

> Does anyone see anything with these solid state PCs preventing me from
> doing this?  Can I boot from an external DVD/CD player with UBUNTU and
> then overwrite the M$ XP with UBUNTU operating system?

So you're really after the EeePC 1000 model, which it appears is not
sold in Australia. This means you'll have to go with the 1000H - which
does not have a flash drive.

I also recently discovered that the EeePC 1000 model and it's
so-called 40GB SDD is not a 40GB SDD at all - it's an 8GB SDD with a
32GB SD card stick in the slot.. misleading in my opinion and rather
disheartening.

http://blog.christophersmart.com/2008/08/29/knock-knock-eeepc-1000/

Also, Dell just released their EeePC competing product, the Mini 9,
which is more like an EeePC 901.

As for installing Ubuntu on an EeePC, don't see any issue with that.

-c