[clug] ASUS Eee PC 1000 solid state with LINUX

jhock jhock at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 8 05:19:58 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I have seen many emails about the ASUS Eee PCs.  I originally asked
about the 901 but since then I like the look of the 1000 solid state
with the LINUX operating system.

It appears to me that it is very difficult to get one without Windows
XP.  As much as I hate paying for Microsoft (in my opinion) inferior
products and would rather (in my opinion) superior LINUX products it
seems that they aren't available in Australia.  It also seems that
sometimes the LINUX version is dearer than the XP version.  How I hate M
$ dominating the world with their marketing.

It seems to me that I may have to buy the XP version and replace the
operating system with a LINUX operating system such as UBUNTU.

Does anyone see anything with these solid state PCs preventing me from
doing this?  Can I boot from an external DVD/CD player with UBUNTU and
then overwrite the M$ XP with UBUNTU operating system?

Thanks.

John