[clug] upload speeds on transact

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Wed Oct 22 09:08:20 GMT 2008

80-85% is a reasonable average for most xDSL products and PPPoE
framing.  The declared speeds are the ATM rate, so you have to take out
ATM headers (5/53 bytes or ~10%), then 8 bytes of PPPoE framing (for
every 64-1500 byte frame), then TCP/IP overhead (16 bytes from memory
for every 64-1500byte frame).  You're left with speed at the Application
layer.

xDSL is a killer on the TCP ACK side of things when downloading and
using PPPoE.  RFC's require 1 ack per 2 packets, each ack is a minimum
Ethernet packet in size (about 64bytes with padding), which is larger
than 1 ATM packet, so it goes over 2.  I've seen quite a few ADSL links
congest the upstream well in advance of the downstream.

If your routing allows it, a switch to PPPoA framing should see a bit of
an increase.

Andrew