[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Oct 22 03:44:50 GMT 2008

Robert Edwards wrote:
> The question I think we should be asking is how can Open Source help
> solve this problem at the individual subscriber level? What is the best
> that we can offer to parents/educators etc. who really do want to be
> able to restrict what their children or other dependents can access on
> the Internet?
>
> What is our "best practice" for home Internet filtering?
>
> Looking forward to hearing what others may have done.

I don't have children and so don't filter my internet, and don't really
know what I'm talking about.  It's always struck me though, that logging
would be better than filtering.

Log every url visited and ensure that the kids know that you do it and
look at it occasionally.

If you want to more obvious/fun have a display in a public place of the
last few pages viewed.

It would also allow you to know what they are trying to view and
approach them on why it's an issue.

David