[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Oct 22 03:29:00 GMT 2008

Dans Guardian is very good having tested it myself for use at an ISP. It
wouldn't be too hard to switch the filters to a govt approved one. The
trouble would be in supplying this to the individuals who wish to use it
in a form aceptable to them. The best location for such a package would
be on the CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) Router. The trouble here is
that most (all?) manufactures see this as a means to get the customer
into a subscription service to generate more revenue. While there are
OSS replacement firmware images for some routers, most noteably the
linksys WRT series and is reasonably idiot proof, the general public
would not find this solution acceptable for various reason, eg, they
have to do something for themselves.

Damn, almost managed to keep the cynical side in the bag for the entire
post.

Jeff.