[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 03:12:29 GMT 2008

Andrew Janke wrote:
>>> Perhaps it was a coincidence, but the balance of power at the time was
>>> held by Senator Harradine. Liberals wanted Telstra sold and the GST in,
>>> he didn't wanted the Internet filtered.
>> Welcome to the world of politics, where decisions are never based on fact or
>> reason, and critical thinking is paramount to sedition.
>
> gzackerly!
>
> In any case:  $calls_to_ministers_advisor_re_this++;
>
> I'm with Lana, I always find it much more interesting to talk to the
> people involved about this sort of thing personally and in a rational
> fashion, I have 3 kids so am acutely aware of what they are trying to
> do and support it (or education regarding this), just not in the
> current way in which they are approaching it.
>
> They are to call back.

I'm also opposed to any Govt. controlled filtering of the Internet.
But I am also a parent and I have Dans Guardian installed on my
(Debian) router/firewall/squid etc. server.

The question I think we should be asking is how can Open Source help
solve this problem at the individual subscriber level? What is the best
that we can offer to parents/educators etc. who really do want to be
able to restrict what their children or other dependents can access on
the Internet?

What is our "best practice" for home Internet filtering?

Looking forward to hearing what others may have done.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.