[clug] OT: Protesting the proposed clean feed?

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Oct 22 06:07:24 GMT 2008

Robert Edwards wrote:
> What is our "best practice" for home Internet filtering?

Probably unrelated, I got the enviable task of making wireless happen
for the World Youth Day events.

We started with Dans Guardian and a full set of filters (word, content
and picture) wound to the lowest common denominator ( a 16 year old who
had had a strict moral upbringing ), and within an hour people were
complaining that German Webmail sites were blocked (The page in question
displays full frontal "pink bits" next to the webmail login box), or
they couldn't get to their Myspace page due to inappropriate content. By
the end of the first day with the Pilgrims being on campus, the helpdesk
that was running requested that the filters be turned off, and shortly
thereafter the 8 box cluster that was filtering became an 8 box cluster
that was just proxying.

I, thankfully, was at Royal Pines Resort attending Questnet08, so I just
disabled the filters, filed the email request under "Break Seal In Case
of Court Summons", and spent the rest of the day in the bar.

When it comes to filtering internet, the people on the pointy end
(helpdesk workers) who have to put with the abuse tend to take the
shotgun approach, and either want it all turned on, or all turned off,
and as the "Peter Principle" is used to select helpdesk staff, it won't
take long before a content filter is turned off, if only to make the
voices stop.

my 2cents.

--
--==--