[clug] VOIP advice

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Oct 2 05:40:04 GMT 2008

2008/10/2 Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com>:
>>  > Hardware:
>>> ATA device to plug into the router
>>> Analogue phone to plug into the ATA device
>> If you're getting a new router anyway, a number are available now with a
>> built in ATA, which cuts out an extra piece of stuff on your desk and
>> may well also end up cheaper.  Another option, if you were going to buy
>> a new phone for this anyway, is a pure SIP phone (though I have no idea
>> what the pricing on those is like

Not too bad, about $115 or so
("http://pcmarket.com.au/12122_Linksys_SPA901_VoIP_Phone.php"),
although it's not a wireless handset. But since I already have a very
good Uniden base station with 3 wireless handsets, I think plugging
this into an ATA device will be the best option.

Therefore, I'm assuming that the ATA device I get will also have a
standard phone line plug (as well as the RJ45 for VOIP), so that
regular landline calls can come in and out? Does it always make VOIP
calls then, or can I tell it to use the actual landline when (and if)
I want to?

> On this matter, I would stick with the ATA device/Router with ATA VoIP
> thing in it if only because SIP phone devices are evil expensive
> compared to a $15 phone (or whatever you already have for $0).

Agreed.

> I would also strongly recommend the "hardware" route over a software
> solution if only because you will find that you will use it more.. :)
> In our case VoIP was always a "toy" that could be used in our house
> when it was software based. Once it was on a "Real" handset household
> adoption of the "technology" was a lot greater. :)

Thanks, will do :) I was just interested in the software route for
testing purposes I guess. But I realise this won't reflect the quality
of a hardware based solution (especially if it doesn't support the
full range of codecs).

I _think_ I'm starting to get a handle on this stuff..

-c