[clug] VOIP advice

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 05:33:06 GMT 2008

>  > Hardware:
>> ATA device to plug into the router
>> Analogue phone to plug into the ATA device
> If you're getting a new router anyway, a number are available now with a
> built in ATA, which cuts out an extra piece of stuff on your desk and
> may well also end up cheaper.  Another option, if you were going to buy
> a new phone for this anyway, is a pure SIP phone (though I have no idea
> what the pricing on those is like

On this matter, I would stick with the ATA device/Router with ATA VoIP
thing in it if only because SIP phone devices are evil expensive
compared to a $15 phone (or whatever you already have for $0).

I would also strongly recommend the "hardware" route over a software
solution if only because you will find that you will use it more.. :)
In our case VoIP was always a "toy" that could be used in our house
when it was software based. Once it was on a "Real" handset household
adoption of the "technology" was a lot greater. :)