[clug] command line NTLM authentication proxy?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 07:23:32 GMT 2008

> Anyone had a similar problem?

Not that particular problem. Apart from the issue Chris described
where the default granularity of the installer script is set too high
(despite the bug I lodged over a year ago), the biggest problem with
ntlmaps is setting it up on multiple machines.

If you set it up in several places and at a later time your employer's
password policy forces you to change your password, you need to
remember any and all places that you may have left ntlmaps running
with your old password. The symptoms are easy to detect. You change
your password, then at some indeterminate time later, something
happens on another machine that involves net access. Maybe something
manual, maybe something automated. On that machine, ntlmaps tries
several times in succession to log in as you with an old password and
your account is locked out. You will probably find out by clicking a
link in an established session on your usual computer and finding that
you are no longer authorised. Should you be foolish enough to log out
at this point, you will stay logged out until the auth system times
out and resets, or you sweetly ask your domain admin to re-enable you.

Or so I'm told. I'd never be silly enough to fall into that obvious
trap myself. :-)

On a completely unrelated note, I have heard that 'Experience is
recognising a mistake the next time you make it.'

--
MC