[clug] Kubuntu 8.10 first impressions

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Nov 11 06:33:32 GMT 2008

Randall Crook <rcrook at vtown.com.au> writes:

[...]

> If KDE3 is going to be dropped from Kubuntu,

It already has been; 8.04 is the last KDE3 release.  All future releases
will have only KDE4.  (Baring policy changes, of course.)

> likelihood is I will drop Kubuntu, Move on to Xubuntu or even go back
> to debian. At least until KDE4 becomes a usable and configurable
> Desktop. So far its not promising.
>
> It's intriguing, When I first tried KDE4 back in 7.10 I thought, Cool,
> I have access to KDE 4 Beta... When it became the default on 8.04 I
> thought "You have to be kidding... Its no where near a finished
> desktop, so much stuff missing...."

I think you mean 8.10, since 8.04 is deliberately still KDE3 -- and an
LTS release, so you can be assured that the KDE3 version will continue
to work for the next three years and all.

That should give time for KDE4 to settle down.

Regards,
        Daniel

...or you could just go back to Debian, for whom stable is even slower
moving, and will leave you with KDE3 for longer.