[clug] Kubuntu 8.10 first impressions

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:37:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

<snip>

>> It's intriguing, When I first tried KDE4 back in 7.10 I thought, Cool,
>> I have access to KDE 4 Beta... When it became the default on 8.04 I
>> thought "You have to be kidding... Its no where near a finished
>> desktop, so much stuff missing...."
>
> I think you mean 8.10, since 8.04 is deliberately still KDE3 -- and an
> LTS release, so you can be assured that the KDE3 version will continue
> to work for the next three years and all.
>
> That should give time for KDE4 to settle down.

Except Kubuntu 8.04 isn't LTS - KDE 4 was considered too bleeding edge
and it was decided that 3.5 wasn't likely to be supported upstream for
long enough so they skipped the LTS on that one (the confusion comes
because _U_buntu 8.04 is LTS). The latest Kubuntu LTS release was
6.06, which remains supported until 2009-06 (8.04 is supported until
2009-10).

Cheers,
-Ian

--