[clug] Kubuntu 8.10 first impressions

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Tue Nov 11 06:17:49 GMT 2008

I am very disappointed in KDE 4.X so far....

Get the feeling there is a lot of changes just for change sake. The team
has over simplified the interface. To the point that a lot of very
useful functionality has just vanished.

Most of what you point out I agree with. I see where the team are trying
to head, and to a large degree I agree with them, but why is it so all
or none with these things. The one thing I truly liked about KDE 3 was
its reconfigurability. You can easily tweak almost anything from the
Control Centre. With 4 there is very little you can customise from the
UI itself.

Its become Microsoftized. "We know better than the User about what they
want." Yes of course most users don't care... But some do, and KDE 3
worked well for those who do.... I really don't care if the UI is
redeveloped to cater for the "Don't Care" or "Too dumb" users... Why the
hell does it have to automatically exclude those who do give a damn, and
do want more control... Why cant we have both?

That's why I don't like gnome. Too MS... all the cool controls are only
available via hacking the guts of it.

If KDE3 is going to be dropped from Kubuntu, likelihood is I will drop
Kubuntu, Move on to Xubuntu or even go back to debian. At least until
KDE4 becomes a usable and configurable Desktop. So far its not promising.

It's intriguing, When I first tried KDE4 back in 7.10 I thought, Cool, I
have access to KDE 4 Beta... When it became the default on 8.04 I
thought "You have to be kidding... Its no where near a finished desktop,
so much stuff missing...." I was completely blown away when I realised,
"No, this is it, the almost finished product." It actually made me sad
to think that such a great desktop had been neutered so badly.

Ok.... Finished my rant....

Randall