[clug] krandr multiple monitor woes

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Wed Jul 30 12:18:10 GMT 2008

Normally, sure. But, it looks like I didn't back up my /usr/local/sbin
path before I rebuilt my laptop (poo!). I based it off a write up at
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2 and
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Sample_Fn-F7_script, and Fedora 9 seems to
"just work" with the docking station.

Basically, I kept a USB memory stick pugged into the docking station, so
I knew that when that USB stick appeared, I was docked. Then, it was
simply a matter of creating a udev rule, in this case was
98-dockingstation.rules;

    BUS=="usb", \
    SYSFS{serial}=="2125000000006045", \
    KERNEL=="sd?1", NAME="%k", \
    SYMLINK+="USBonDock", \
    RUN+="/usr/local/sbin/mon.sh dock"

With that, I've specified that if a USB device with serial number
/2125000000006045/ is plugged in, and detected as a scsi disk, a
symbolic link called USBonDock should be made to the first partition
(which is the ext3 partition I store stuff on) and the script
//usr/local/sbin/mon.sh/ should be run with the argument "dock".

Tip - To find out the serial number for a usb external hard drive, run
"udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/sdX)"

Steve