[clug] Win-Vista vs Linux (Kubuntu)

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Jul 4 12:20:51 GMT 2008

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> writes:
> On 04/07/2008, at 15:04 , steve jenkin wrote:
>
>> The "IBM Preload" partition is 6.5Gb.
>
>> Compare to the Kubuntu distro - around 650Mb.
>
> What software does the preload come with? What does Kubuntu run "out of the
> box" and without network access? I would be surprised if  Kubuntu off disk
> includes a decent range of fonts *and* OpenOffice in  that 650MB - OpenOffice
> itself is what... 250MB installed?

Be surprised; one of the design goals of the single CD versions of
Ubuntu is to include a working desktop, including OO.org, a web browser,
and other standard office desktop software.

You should be able to drop it in and, in fact, do most "normal end user"
things out of the box: browse the web, read email, import, edit and
print your digital photos, edit office documents, and manage the file
system.[1]

I would, personally, be surprised if the IBM Preload came remotely close
to a single KUbuntu CD in terms of functionality, though it /could/ be
that they have added more useful stuff since the last time I looked
inside the preload image.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  That is to say, most of us would be unhappy with the software
     selection, but it should suit the average office worker or home
     user just fine.