[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop andOpen Office?

Richard Reynolds richard.reynolds at usa.net
Thu Jul 3 04:59:45 GMT 2008

> Note that I have never been in a management or purchasing role, but this is my
> understanding:
I am often in both a purchasing, management and sales role.

> If you have a stable, installed base of windows computers, and the per-seat licencing is
> very cheap, then you need a very convincing business case to change, and pricing won't
> cut it.
Yep!!!

> 1) Evangelical drive from the boss/CIO, which is not the 'right' way to do things.
This can be a very powerful way to force change. And can lead to the best results.
Boss's/CEO's like to look at the bottom line, if they see an IT budget thats not
decreasing, and already dont like the current solution in every/any way. There are a
number of major government and companies that have made big changes just like this, some
have even done this.

> 4) Government regulation (again, not the right way things should work)
there are a million reasons that governmental regulations should force the issue, in both
ways. Departments not only need to be able to work alone, but they have to be able to
communicate betwen other departments, they also should be able to be audited, obeserved by
others, and even have workers replaced from other departments, there is no benifit to
switching a department (of any level or government) if communications break down or any
other requirement is not fulfilled.

> 5) A doubling or more of the price of Windows+Office relative to the overall workstation
> costs
although this was covered already doubling isnt going to be enough. Risk is a BIG word

Richard Reynolds
richard.reynolds at usa.net