[clug] Any Public Service organisations using Linix desktop andOpen Office? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jul 3 04:42:25 GMT 2008

On 03/07/2008, at 14:20 , Roppola, Antti - BRS wrote:

> It (should) be all about risk and savings:
>  - Would changing to Linux result in savings? Maybe.
>  - Would changing to Linux result in exposure to risk? Yes. (the
> incumbent seem to work well enough, why take chances?)

I think it's more a case of raising the profile of FOSS as
  - stable
  - reliable
  - predictable
  - supported
  - ubiquitous

I would expect that the tipping point will come the day that some
blue-suit realises that the devices around his house that give him
the most problems are the ones running embedded Windows, while the
ones he loves the most are the ones running Linux.

"Hey, IT guy, why does my Linux powered pool cleaner work so much
better than my Windows powered picture frame? What's so complicated
about showing pictures?"

I do not expect the Windows Empire to collapse any time soon. In
fact, as long as P. T. Barnum's maxim holds true, I'm sure that
Microsoft will make its job to be finding the fools who so
desperately need to be parted from their money. Microsoft will be
trying hard to sell the best profit to their clients given the
clients' resources.

The rest of us, having minds more oriented towards making logical
decisions, will be trying our best to provide the best result for our
clients given their resources.

Alex