[clug] Aruba wireless

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:58:16 GMT 2008

<snip>
Another thought I just had is that the AP might not be sending any
beacon packets, but rather only responding to scanning clients - you
should be able to tell using wireshark.

Most APs will send lots and lots and lots of beacon frames telling
everyone on the same channel all about themselves several times every
second.

Most APs also respond to direct requests from clients ("is anybody out
there?" "yes, hi, my SSID is HIDDENNETW0RKZ" "hi HIDDENNETW0RKZ, tell
me about yourself?" "well, I'm an 802.11g 54mbps access point
listening on channel 6 and waiting for anyone who can EAP their way
in!", except with two less packets and a much more
professional/mechanical attitude) - depending on their
setup/capabilities they might respond to any probe request, or they
might only respond to probe requests that already know their SSID
(where kismet's automatic decloaking capability comes in handy).

Unless I think of anything else,
-I
--
On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but