[clug] Ubuntu Gutsy problem.

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 03:03:51 GMT 2008

On 09/01/2008, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
> David Adams wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> > I can, it does. All volumes are maximum- it just won't produce any
> > sound, either on the built in speakers or via the headphones jack.
>
> Often alsa mutes everything by default, this could be the issue.

After a recent re-install of a Debian Etch machine, not only had the
master volumes been set to zero, they had been muted too.

> Try running:
>
> for x in Front Master PCM Surround Center ; do amixer set $x 100% unmute
> ; done

Or using alsamixer:
If you see 'Item: Master [Off]' (top left corner) when the 'Master'
channel is selected (it should be when the program starts, otherwise
use the left/right arrow keys) press the 'm' key to unmute it.

Another indicator is at the bottom of the volume control. "MM" means
both channels are muted, "OO" means both are "On" (I guess).

Adam.