[clug] SSH + PAM

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Jan 2 09:45:49 GMT 2008

Robert Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Option 1: two instances of SSH with different config files, one
> listening on the internal interface/IP address and the other on the
> other. But both need "UsePAM", so how do I tell PAM which SSH is which?

Googling for "ssh pam service name" found me this:

http://marc.info/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=104871124912817&w=2

Two-second summary is to run sshd with a different program name, either
through your own wrapper that uses execl() with a different argv[0], or
through a symlink.

There could be a problem though, depending on your distribution:

http://osdir.com/ml/network.openssh.devel/2003-04/msg00093.html

says that Debian woody is built with a hard-coded PAM service name that
can't be changed using the aforementioned method.

If that's the case for your distribution, it's not hard to build yourself
a custom package without that configure option.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au