[clug] ACS query

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Fri Feb 29 01:33:16 GMT 2008

James Polley wrote on 29/2/08 11:19 AM:
> Keep in mind that joining ACS isn't as simple as wanting to join.
>
> <snip>
>
> Also, you need to have at least 4 years "relevant" industry
> experience.  I've been a sysadmin for ~7 years, but sysadmin work
> isn't "Relevant" according to their list of criteria.
>
> So as far as I can tell from their site
> (https://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=show&conID=membercriteria),
> I'm not eligible to become a member at any level, even with a
> Bachelors degree and 7 years experience - at least, not without
> jumping through hoops and handing over vast wads of cash in order to
> prove that I'm worthy to join.
>
> Think I'm going to bother?

This is a big part of the reason why there are ~400,000 IT practitioners
who *aren't* members :-(

The ACS was formed in 1969 by the amalgamation of State Branches.
It seems they've never moved on - even down to many of those same
members still being on the books.

>From their eligibility criteria, they should be called "The Australian
Programmers Society"...
If you are a CIO, Business Analyst, webmaster/editor or Sysadmin (&
more) - you don't count in their eyes.

Around 2000 there was an "Australian IT Society", IIRC, formed by a
disgruntled ex-ACS board member.
I think it lasted 2 years, but haven't been able to remember its name or
find a reference to it and its magazine.

This may be of use - "Information Technology Professionals Association"
<http://www.itpa.asn.au/>

APSEMA are more like a Union - they will actually get involved in
workplace & employment issues.
I've never been a member, but here's what they sell:

 * Support and representation with workplace matters
 * Contract and salary information and advice
 * Salary and conditions reviews