[clug] ... and WiFi access in Civic

Brian Morris brian at netspeed.com.au
Thu Feb 21 01:12:46 GMT 2008

Hi All,

There is a provision, or at least a 'loophole' in the Telecommunications Act
that allows the likes of café's and people at home to use WIFI to gain
access to the Internet (commercial or not).  I think reason given is that if
it is legal to do it 'wired' (ie running a cable to the table), then doing
it wireless is ok too.

Strictly speaking it is not supposed to transmit beyond their boundary, that
is where a carrier licence is required, but I have never seen it policed and
I suspect there is no intention to enforce it either.  Just don't exceed
your legal transmit power levels with too high a gain 3rd party antennae.

Regards,

Brian Morris
NetSpeed.