[clug] Brother printers - very Linux friendly [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Feb 14 10:39:28 GMT 2008

Roppola, Antti - BRS <Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au> wrote:
> As it turns out, the Brother 2040 has a bunch of Linux drivers on their
> web site, including
> a CUPS driver in a .deb that I was able to blat onto an Ubuntu desktop
> using dpkg -i. There
> was also source tarballs were I so inclined.
>
> I don't know yet how well it works as someone threw the parallel cable
> out with the old
> printer, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the comprehensive
> support on offer.

I have one, it works fine with USB. It doesn't come with a parallel
cable! It does have a Centronics parallel port on the printer, just no
cable in the box.

I tried it with the parallel cable from my previous printer, no worky. I
suspect the parallel port on the ancient motherboard. After some
stuffing around with downloading CUPS drivers as you have done, it Just
Works (tm).
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au