[clug] Vodafone USB modem connect assistance

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com
Sun Feb 3 11:54:35 GMT 2008

James Cherryh wrote:
> When the modem is now connected, if I open up a console box at the Suse
> desktop the first thing it says is :
> bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> repeated about 9 times. Odd. Anyone have any thoughts why that is so?

This is wrong.  /dev/null should look like this:

[dart] ls -l /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2007-09-22 05:12 /dev/null

If its not crw-rw-rw- then you have a problem.  You could try doing chmod 666 /dev/null
but that's only if its an actual "c" device.  If its not then you'll need to recreate the
device (maybe after deleting a file /dev/null)

As root:

dart:~ # mknod --mode=666 /dev/null c 1 3

I've seen this happen ages ago when someone did "mv file /dev/null"

Brett