[clug] Vodafone USB modem connect assistance

James Cherryh jcherryh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:58:06 GMT 2008

Gary said :
>Maybe you want to supply the weird-looking AT command
> (AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3netaccess"^M) as well. But in your case it would
> probably be 3VODA or something.

OK, that is what is technically called a 'clue'.

I googled AT+CGDCONT and found a string which I had noticed in the vodafone
setup (if one doesn't know what one is doing, which is my case here, then
one doesn't have any mental hooks to know if something is important or
noise), and I found something which said "AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","vfinternet.au",""
"

So I put that in the YAST box as a modem init parameter and it now connects
and I can see the internet. Thanks for your help.

I do have a follow up question though.

When the modem is now connected, if I open up a console box at the Suse
desktop the first thing it says is :
bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

repeated about 9 times. Odd. Anyone have any thoughts why that is so?