[clug] Any ideas on what to look for to get an old PC running?

Duncan Bolt Duncan.Bolt at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 22 01:38:21 GMT 2008

I would second that, don't touch the power supply internals. Open the
case to look at the motherboard and reseat cards yes. Be careful you can
damage things here as they are static sensitive. But the voltages are
low, 5V  12V 3.3V

But the Power Supply can be dangerous, even disconnected from the mains.

Jim Watson wrote:
> jhock wrote:
>> I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how to get it to work. EG.
>> is there likely to be a fuse inside, is there an area which I should
>> "jiggle" when I open it, is there a good spot to bang it like they do on
>>

> John,
>
> As you do not know what to expect, it is not a good idea to open it at
> all.
> Like any other 240V equipment if it is not working correctly you
> should assume it is dangerous and do not open it or plug it in. Sorry
> to say this but it is better to be safe than sorry.
>
> regards for a safe and quiet xmas
>
> jim

Duncan Bolt
IT Officer