[clug] FTP Server Question

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Aug 7 05:25:49 GMT 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Ian Bardsley wrote:

> I see some suggestion that it is necessary to open ports 49000 to 65500 as
> well as port 21  but  I see no explanation as to why  this would be

Because ftp is a protocol designed for the "friendly" internet :)

One of ftp's" transfer modes involves the server telling the the client to
connect to it on a different port - hence the line above.  I don't the
line is accurate, though.

What you're looking for in your firewall software is something along the
lines of "allow related connections".  The option causes the firewalling
software to do some deep packet inspection; when it sees the server tell a
clinet to connect to it on a particular port, it subsequently lets the
client actually do that.

Note: when your friend makes the initial connection to your FTP server,
the server *should* log the fact that he's connected.  If that doesn't
occur, then it is more than likely that the problem lies elsewhere, NOT in
the "related connection" mire.

> Ian Bardsley

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.