[clug] Printer recommendations

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Aug 5 05:22:54 GMT 2008

Many thanks for all your good advice, guys - that gives me plenty to go
on! :-)

Chris wrote:
> Ordinarily I would say that most Canon LBP printers are
> paperweights, but according to the website it looks like
> Canon has released a proprietary driver:
>"http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-LBP3000"

> There's no link though, and I doubt it will be easy to get
> working (I presume it is a binary application and drier,
> not a PPD which you can drop into CUPS).

I installed that driver set and it was a complete waste of time. I spent
hours trying to get it to work and found numerous references to the
problems and complexity of getting it to work - nothing I tried did. :-(

Canon seem to have nothing but contempt for *nix users. I have a Canon
scanner and photo-quality printer, neither of which I want to get rid
of, and for which I have to maintain one Windwoes box. Needless to say
Canon won't be getting any business from me from now on.

Thanks again, folks. You rock.

Fred