[clug] Starting k/ubuntu - Debian

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sun May 13 02:05:49 GMT 2007

Hi,

Debian and Ubuntu are totally unknown to me. I have used suse as my main
distro for several years now.

A week ago I bought in the markets an amd 64 dual processor box. Suse failed
to install on it.  Kubunto live cd worked without any problems, so I
installed it and it has been running without any real problems, other than my
ignorance.  So I have some elementary questions.

1. From my box, named "amd64", which is running kubuntu, I can connect via ssh
to my other PC's (all with suse 10.2).  But from other boxes, I can not
connect to "amd64":

ak at p4:~> ssh amd64
ssh: connect to host amd64 port 22: Connection refused
ak at p4:~>

Does kubuntu have a firewall or another security measure and if so what?

2. I have tried (twice) to download ubuntu-7.04-alternate-amd64.iso from
planetmirror, but the download file was corrupted.  Anyone can suggest an
alternative way of getting the "alternate" 64 bit versions for ubuntu and
kubuntu?

TIA,

OldAl.

--