[clug] Ergonomic keyboards

Edward Lang edlang at gmail.com
Thu May 10 06:20:53 GMT 2007

Hi,

On 5/10/07, Michael Cohen <michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:56:43AM +1000, Michael James wrote:
> > Seriously though, have you got those mappings available?
> > I'd like to try them.
>
> These are pretty much out of the man page for xmodmap:
>
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> remove Control = Control_L
> keysym Control_L = Control_L
> keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
> add Control = Control_L

One can also force this system wide by editing the X configuration file
appropriately:

  Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" [...]
    Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"

I've gleefuly come to love using ^H to delete the previous character, so if
anyone has a tip for turning the backspace key into a compose key I'd love
to know...

(At home I use a G15 gaming keyboard. It has a hardware switch to disable
the Windows keys. It's great.)

Regards,

Edward.

--