[clug] Ergonomic keyboards

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu May 10 00:26:21 GMT 2007

Cannot agree more.  A year or so back I had a pretty bad run in with
"programmers arms"..... I looked at things like the ergo-kinesis but
still do not require it yet (but know others that do)

Now I use a combination of M$ 4000 keyboards and a M$ Natural Wireless
Mouse 6000. The mouse helps with Carpal Tunnel as the wrist is not
dragging on the desk.
I also learnt to touch type properly and my .bashrc is now an evil
mess of single letter aliases for the most common things that I do.
ie:

# finger saving functions
d () {
  cd ${1}
  ls
  }

I now do look like a bit of a fool though with an X60 sub-compact
notebook and a monster keyboard and mouse in my backpack... :)

Changing mousing hands at work and home helps a lot too.  I also use
Dragon via ubuntu in vmware on the X60. (doesnt work the other way
around.. :( ).  At home I use dragon on Debian/Ubuntu via synergy.

Look after your hands and wrists yung-uns,  says this old programmer
crock at age 32... :)

On 5/10/07, Michael James <clug3 at james.st> wrote:
> Hey, here's something that Microsoft do Very well, Keyboards!
>
> I've just gotten a "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0".
> (USB based, $69 from the ANU Union PC shop)
>
> It's way different from anything I've seen before,
>  but as soon as you lay your hands on it
>  you wonder why all keyboards aren't like this.
>
> It has a raised front edge with a nice wrist-rest,
>  and the keys slope down to the sides and back.
>
> Wrists dead straight, no twisting to flatten hands.
>
> Key action is superb, nice, springy, yields-all-at-once.
>
> In comfort, it's like a couch to a kitchen chair.
>
> --
> Konqueror has gotten so clever for its own boots
>   that it has forgotten what a web browser is for.
> --

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883